Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Technique Tuesday: Black Ice

Hi Everyone!  For May's Stamp Club, I thought we'd try the black ice technique.

This technique reminds me of tintype or daguerreotype vintage photographs.  I'm using the lovely set Waterfront from the Occasions catalog, which is returning in the Annual Catalog (yay!).  I'm not sure the origin of this technique; I used instructions from Melissa Kerman.

I put my tintype photo on a polaroid layout - is that mix-matching eras?  I kept it simple, focusing on the technique, and put the sentiment on the inside.

Here's the outline of the technique:

  • Starting with a silver foil sheet, use the direct to paper (DTP) technique with Basic Black Archival ink pad to create black linear streaks (heavier on the edges, light in the center).
  • Stamp images with Basic Black Archival ink.  Set aside to dry or heat set.
  • With a Versamark ink pad, draw the pad very lightly across the front of the sheet in a vertical direction using the DTP technique.  Don't apply any pressure; let the weight of the ink pad do the work.
  • Cover the entire piece with Clear Embossing Powder and heat set.
  • See Melissa's YouTube video for tips on the amount of pressure to use for the DTP technique.

Stamps: Waterfront; Paper: Sahara Sand, Very Vanilla, Silver Foil Sheets; Ink: Black Archival Ink, Versamark; Accessories: Linen Thread, Clear Embossing Powder, Dimensionals.



No comments: