Friday, October 24, 2014

FM183 Iron-Off Leafy Thanks

It's my turn to host the Friday Mashup challenge.  This week is a color challenge plus a technique.  I chose iron-off embossing, since I have never tried it.

First stamp and heat emboss your image.  Then use the embossing as a resist to color your background.  You could sponge, watercolor, or use direct-to-paper technique, among others.  Once the background is done, use scratch paper and a medium-heat iron to remove the melted embossing powder to leave a flat, mat finish.

Prepping for our downline shoebox swap project, I thought I would combine it with this challenge.  I love the watercolor look of this new set, For All Things.  Turns out, the iron-off embossing works pretty well with the sentiment and the watercolor swatch.  I used Freshly Made Sketches #154 for my card.

Here's your Mashup Challenge:

  • Create a project with "Hello Honey, Tangelo Twist & Baked Brown Sugar". 
  • Create a project with the "Iron-Off Embossing Technique".  Link to technique HERE.
  • or Mash it Up! and create a "Project using the colors above & the Iron-Off Embossing Technique".
Stamps: For All Things, Gorgeous Grunge; Paper: Baked Brown Sugar, Very Vanilla, Color Me Autumn DSP; Ink: Hello Honey, Tangelo Twist, Baked Brown Sugar, Versamark; Accessories: Color Me Autumn washi tape, Linen Thread, Clear EP, Corner Rounder punch, Iron, Dimensionals.

I also have a bonus iron-off embossing card, playing along with Mix-Ability challenge #67, Take It Away.

I did some layered batik resist, with layers of clear heat embossing and coloring, to show the text paper underneath. I gave Dina's bokeh tutorial a try, using the inside circular stamp pieces from Daydream Medallions and also a pencil eraser. My first color layer was watercolored, but then I switched to brayered, which worked out better.  Once all the layers were complete, for the "take it away" step, I ironed-off the embossing powder.  This card also uses Fab Fri sketch #51.

Stamps: Daydream Medallions, And Many More, Big Bold Birthday MDS image; Paper: Hello Honey, Lost Lagoon, Whisper White, Moonlight DSP, First Edition DSP; Ink: Pool Party, Lost Lagoon, Island Indigo; Accessories: White EP, Pencil, White baker's twine, Brayer, Watercolor brush, e-cutter.

No comments: