Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Stamp Review Crew: The Open Sea

Welcome to another Stamp Crew Review Blog Hop!  We share our take on a selected stamp set every first and third Monday.  This round we are looking at the masculine set The Open Sea.  This is the first stop from the top, but if you are hopping around in a circle, you have just come from Betty's blog.  She is just so creative!

To kick us off, I started with a Father's Day card.

Following Mix-Ability Challenge #35, I created the interesting textured paper by gluing tissue paper to a card base, then painting with a mixture of blue and white acrylic paint.  To highlight the wrinkles, I brayered with Midnight Muse ink.  I also rubbed the wrinkles lightly with oil pastel crayons for a little more highlighting.  This card uses Sweet Sunday Sketch #206.

Stamps: The Open Sea, Teeny Tiny Wishes; Paper: Crumb Cake, Early Espresso, Very Vanilla, Whisper White, Very Vanilla Core'dinations, Tissue paper; Ink: Marina Mist, Midnight Muse, Cherry Cobbler, Crumb Cake, Early Espresso; Accessories: Sweet Sorbet Accessories, Aquapainter, Brayer, Sponge, Adorning Accents edgelits, Bitty Banners framelits, Circles Collection framelits, Big Shot, Acrylic paints, Oil pastel crayons, Sewing machine, Thread, Dimensionals.

Searching around for some 3-D inspiration, I came across some book binding ideas.

I created the covers by adding Epic Day paper to chipboard, after stamping with The Open Sea and World Map images.

After mitering the corners and wrapping and gluing the cover edges, Epic Day paper was also added to the inside of the covers.  I also sponged the edges for an aged look.

I found card stock to be too bulky, so I used vanilla-colored copy paper.  This binding process is called coptic stitch bookbinding. I followed this tutorial.

I have to say, that was pretty fun to make!  It brought me back to my cross-stitch days.

Stamps: The Open Sea, World Map BG; Paper: Epic Day DSP, Chipboard, Copy paper; Ink: Soft Suede, Crumb Cake, Versamark; Accessories: Linen Thread, Gold EP, Sponge, Needle; Font: Vivaldi.

Come back on Friday; I'm going to have another Open Sea card for the Friday Mashup challenge.  ;)

Make sure you check out the next stop to see what Cindy at Stamps, Paper, and Ink put together with the set.  Her projects are always amazing!  Thanks for stopping by!

 

The complete hop list:
    1. Heidi Baks  runningwscissorsstamper.blogspot.com
    2. Cindy Beach stampspaperandink.typepad.com/
    3. Tanya Boser   tinkerin-in-ink.blogspot.com
    4. Mike Funke    stampin-style.typepad.com/
    5. Shana Gaff   stressfreestamping.blogspot.com
    6. Holly Krautkremer  rubberredneck.typepad.com
    7. Yapha Mason   yaphamason.com
    8. Mary Rindal   maryrindal.com/ 
    9. Dawn Tidd   tiddbitsfromdawn.typepad.com
    10. Lisa Young   addinkandstamp.blogspot.com/
    11. Kerry Willard Bray  kerrywillardbray.com
    12. Paula Wright  paulastamps.blogspot.com/
    13. Rita Wright  ritascreations.blogspot.com/
    14. Jill Coleman  jillstamps.com/
    15. Betty Traciak  kittystamps.blogspot.com

      19 comments:

      Anonymous said...

      ohhh very pretty! I love the ship log. Neat idea as always! :)

      Anonymous said...

      Wonderful projects, Heidi! That ships log is incredible!

      Anonymous said...

      Wonderful projects, Heidi! That ships log is incredible!

      Dawn Tidd said...

      What fun projects with Open Sea! Great card and awesome ship's log. I'd love to see a tutorial!

      Add Ink and Stamp said...

      The book is amazing and I am really intrigued by the card. Love what you did with the tissue paper. I never knew about that particular challenge and it really sound like something I would love to try. Both projects really highlighted The Open Sea stamp set beautifully!

      stressfreestamping said...

      Loving the waves you created on your card. I've never heard of that tissue paper technique. Must give that a try for sure! lol Your journal is so cool. It looks professionally made!!!

      Yapha Mason said...

      Incredible project! I love this set with the Epic Day papers. It is perfect!

      Jill Coleman said...

      Love all of the elements on your card Heidi. The twine knot is perfect! The log book is fabulous - makes me want to create one.

      mrsmom said...

      Wonderful 3-D project and card. Just right for a little something for my son or any male for that matter. I would love to see a tutorial. Thanks for sharing

      Tinabobina99 said...

      Yes, please, I'd love to get the tutorial on the binding. So cool.

      Unknown said...

      Great card and that journal is just fabulous! Love it.

      Betty said...

      I always enjoy seeing how you incorporate other mediums into your projects. The tissue paper/acrylic sections add a wonderful element. And your little details... the little bit of stitching and knotted twine are perfect! The book binding looks it was professionally done!

      Mike said...

      Beautiful card! Has a journal feel to it!

      Jen Timko said...

      Wow…again!

      Cindy Beach said...

      What great projects Heidi! I love the vintage look of the crinkled paper and the journal.

      Wendie Waldman said...

      Wow, Heidi. Absolutely beautiful projects. I especially love the book binding project. A friend gave me a journal she made with this method and I love it. I use it to document my calls to DS.

      Tanya Boser said...

      That card with the tissue paper/acrylic technique waves is stunning! I really had to examine the waves closely because they look so amazing! I love the paper piercing above the banner and anchor also. And then there is the Ship's Log, wonderful! I bet that was an enjoyable adventure :) I would love to see the tutorial you used also!

      Unknown said...

      The "Ships Log" is inspired! I would love the tutorial link. Well done, matey.

      Jessica said...

      I do love all things nautical. I keep putting off buying this set, but I think I'm going to have to buy it soon. TFS Jess