Friday, November 23, 2012

Countdown to Christmas: FM86 Non-Holiday Holiday Ornaments

Happy Black Friday!  5 weeks to go until Christmas...  If you have a spare moment between shopping trips this weekend, I've got a Friday Mashup challenge for you!  You are going to have to put on your thinking cap for this one.  I would like you to use a non-holiday stamp set or image to make a holiday card.  As my physics professor would say, the first step to solving a problem is to get a cup of coffee and think about it.  So don't just run to your stamps, but take a moment.

And to make it extra fun, if you choose to mash it up, use one of the messy techniques like spritzing, smooching, shimmer painting, or splattering with an aquapainter.

Photo Source


So here is the "Mashup" Challenge:
  1. Make a holiday project using "Non-Holiday Image(s)".
  2. Or Make a project with a "Messy Technique", such as spritzing, smooching, shimmer painting, or splattering with an aquapainter.
  3. Or "Mash it Up" and create a "Holiday Project from Non-Holiday Stamps and a Messy Technique".


Holy cow, how is it that this simple card was so freakin' hard?  I had an idea, several ideas, right away.  I went with the clean card and had to rip it apart three times.  One of those iterations, I forgot the spritzing.  Isn't that always the way?

Stamps: Elements of Style, Christmas Greetings; Paper: Marina Mist, Very Vanilla, Whisper White, Brushed Silver; Ink: Marina Mist, Marina Mist marker; Accessories: Silver elastic cord, Color Spritzer Tool, Sponge, Circle punches, Northern Flurry EF, Big Shot, Dimensionals.

I got all wrapped up in this challenge and managed a second card, which went better than the first.


I spied the Perfectly Preserved set and thought there must be something I can put in the jar.  The pine cones came from the Fall stamp set Autumn Days.

Can you believe it?  I forgot the messy technique again.  Well, I would have spritzed the background; you get the gist of it.  I used Freshly Made Sketches #58.

Stamps: Perfectly Preserved, Autumn Days, Sweet Essentials; Paper: Cherry Cobbler, Always Artichoke, Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla, Frostwood Lodge DSP; Ink: Soft Suede, Always Artichoke marker, Soft Suede marker, Chocolate Chip marker; Accessories: White baker's twine, Festive piercing pack, Square Lattice EF, Perfect Polka Dot EF, Window Frames Collection framelits, Cannery Set framelits, Petal Cone die, Big Shot, Dimensionals.

Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

Tanya Boser said...

Love the jar of pine cones so much I had to pin it!!

Lisa said...

I just loved this challenge Heidi, it was so much fun! I love both of your card but I have to say, the Perfectly Preserved one is my favorite...I love the colors and the pinecones in the jar!

Amy White said...

Both fab Christmas cards! I love seeing what fun things people find to out in that jar! Thanks for the fun challenge this week!

hollybeary creations said...

These both came out great.. What a great idea to use the pine cones with the jar. and I love how your ornaments came out.

Tara Bourgoin said...

These are both so pretty. I fell in love the pinecone one immediately. It's almost as if you're trapping the "Christmas" smell to have all year round :) Thanks for the fun challenge this week!

Amanda Corbet said...

Both of your cards are just so pretty! I love your stylish ornaments and your jar full of pine cones! Thanks for sharing such fabulous creations!

Amanda Corbet said...

Both of your cards are just so pretty! I love your stylish ornaments and your jar full of pine cones! Thanks for sharing such fabulous creations!