Monday, January 30, 2012

Sale-a-Bration Blog Hop Follow-Up

Thanks for coming back for further info on some of the Sale-a-bration blog hop projects. The lists of materials can be found back on the blog hop post.

Mom is the hero of the quilt block wall hanging. My contribution was to design and cut it. Like I mentioned, I am a clueless sewer.

Here is a close-up of her stitching. Click the photo for an even closer view.

And here's an outline of how it was put together.
  • Print the images on copy paper from My Digital Studio
  • Trace images on fusible web, iron onto the backside of the fabric, and cut out images
  • Iron fabric/fusible web onto the muslin square, and machine stitch around images with an applique stitch
  • Add features, such as the tail and wing, by hand sewing with embroidery floss. Mom used a French Knot and Stem Stitch.
  • The border was created by cutting a binding and folding in half. There was more detail here (insert clueless-me).
  • Attach the striped ribbon to the back with a running stitch.

Thanks Mom!!!

The Cute 'n Cubby project was created with the tutorial from Card a la Carte.

I can't share the tutorial here, but I can tell you it takes nearly one fat quarter of fabric. It must be pretty easy if I made my way through it! And it folds flat for easy travel to shoebox swaps.

I created these Cute 'n Cubbies for my roommates at Leadership as well, using Springtime Vintage fabric.

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Both these projects are adorable! Wish I new how to sew so that I could case. :-) (I'm also a clueless at sewing!)

Betty said...

Just had to tell you again how pretty these are! I am getting the sewing bug after seeing these!

Cindy Major said...

Hi, Heidi

It was great to see you at Leadership! This was such a great roommate gift idea. Know what I noticed in your pic? You use a cork to put on your paper piercer... That is so brilliant! I never know what to do with mine when taking it to a workshop. I will have to steal your idea :D

TFS!
Cindy