Friday, May 24, 2013

FM111 Pencil Me In

Today it is my turn to host on the Friday Mashup.  When I was taking art class in junior high, pencil drawings were my favorite.  My ex-husband made me a pencil drawing of chocolate-chip cookies for his college course that I had framed.  I may even have that around here somewhere...  Mmmm, cookies.  Anyway, I still like to draw and shade with pencil.  So my challenge for you at today's Friday Mashup is to use pencil in your project, as well as use a splash of color.  You can tell what neutral color I'm aiming for with my challenge.

Photo Source
Here's your Mashup Challenge:
  1. Create a project using "your choice of a Neutral & a Splash of one Bright Color".
  2. Create a project "using a Pencil (regular graphite #2)".
  3. Or Mash it Up and create a project "using pencil & your choice of a neutral & a Splash of a Bright Color".
For my project, I stamped my image in Basic Gray, after stamping off, and then added shading in with pencil.  I used a blending stump to blend in and smooth out the shading. 

I picked a pretty detailed image and focused on a few buds to get crazy with the shading.  For the splash of color, I went literal with splattering watered-down reinker spots with a paint brush.

Stamps: Because I Care, Friendly Phrases; Paper: Lucky Limeade, Wisteria Wonder, Whisper White; Ink: Basic Gray, Lucky Limeade reinker, Wisteria Wonder reinker; Accessories: Wisteria Wonder baker's twine, Pencil, Blending stump, Paint brush, Delicate Details EF, Big Shot, Dimensionals.

As I'm writing this, I'm making a video on pencil shading based on this card.

I'll plug it in here as soon as it is done (new GoPro camera, also doing double-duty for hubby's mountain biking, and he is working on a custom mount for me.  It's a process.).

Success!  Here ya go...


Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely beautiful !! I so need to try that splatter technique - really pushes this card over the top !! Well done.

Jen Timko said...

Amazing, Heidi!!!! Wow, wow, wow! Hoping for the chance to play along.

lisa808 said...

Two beautiful cards.

Amy White said...

Both cards are so pretty Heidi! Fabulous technique and challenge this week!

Lisa said...

Great challenge this week Heidi, you always get me thinking and learning new things with your challenges.

Your cards are just stunning, I especially love the first one with the literal splashes of color!

Tara Bourgoin said...

This is really beautiful. I just love those ink splatters. Thanks for the super fun challenge last week!