Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sunday's Project: Stamped Fabric Cone

I saw a fabric cone in December 2008 Stampin' Success (the stamp magazine for demonstrators), where stamping on fabric was highlighted. I have wanted to try it ever since. When I am home on the weekends, which has been little in February, it is nice to make a "me" project on Sundays.

I took a neutral piece of smooth cotton fabric for the outside of the cone. I chose a piece of polka dot bashful blue fabric, which is coordinating with my project, to line the inside of the cone. I cut the cone pattern out and joined the two pieces of fabric with Heat 'n Bond.

I stamped on the cone using the Snowflake Spot stamp set and Brocade Blue and Bashful Blue craft ink. Some hints for stamping on fabric:

- Use crisp fabric, such as silk or cotton with a smooth finish
- If you choose a patterned fabric, look for a subtle print or batik (all-over watercolor design)
- Use pigment-based Craft Ink to stamp on fabric. Make sure your ink pad is well-inked.
- Check to see how the stamped image dries on fabric before stamping your project. Experiment first!

From there I sewed the ribbon (Baja Breeze satin ribbon) and the cone. This is probably my first real sewing project outside of Home Ec! Well, not highly polished, but here it is...

Come back tomorrow for the first of my two Big Shot fabric swap samples.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: