Meanwhile, I've had a request to do some step-by-step tutorials of MDS Monday pages to get some beginners going. I'd be happy to help out, when I have the time. Warning though, triathlon training season is about a week away, so time will be dwindling very quickly in the near future.
Since I made a video tutorial to accompany by Friday Mashup page, why not start there? There was a sketch to start with, so I add some sketch elements to my page first. I'm pretty literal; I add the sketch to the background and start adding punches (Labels Collection 2, flag, circle) directly over the sketch.
- Delete the sketch from your workspace.
- Add Spring Fever paper to Labels Collection punch (hint: double-click the punch shape to be able to zoom in or out on the pattern in a pop-up window)
- Add Twitterpated paper to flag punch
- Add photo to circle punch
- Adjust the flag size to your liking. Add a standard drop shadow and change the offset to x=2, y=2. Copy and paste a second flag. Angle the flags at 7 and -7 degrees.
- Add Textured Whisper White card stock to the background.
- Add honeycomb stamp from Lemonade Stand kit, Basic Gray, opacity 20%, and send to back. I had also added a drop shadow, offset x=2, y=2, to make the pattern stand out a little more.
- Add Spring Fever borders and layer behind the Label Collection punch. Drop shadow offset x=2, y=3.
- Add little bunny and chick graphics. I had mirrored the chick. No drop shadow.
- Add Very Vanilla designer rosette, recolored Basic Black. Add drop shadow at opacity ~52%, blur medium, offset x=1, y=1. (hint: use the align button on top tool bar for quick centering)
- Copy and paste Twitterpated flag punches, resize, and fill with striped Spring Fever paper. (hint: use align button)
- Add "fishtailed" Certainly Celery satin ribbon following the video tutorial below.
- Add a text box. I actually used a couple text boxes to get the spacing right. Font: Bodoni MT Conde, Beautiful ES.
- Now some tweaking. I added a white mat to my circular photo, drop shadow offset x=2, y=2, and adjusted the size.
- The Labels background was a bit bright for me. I changed the opacity to 80%.
- Copy and paste in place the Labels Collection punch. Edit to 100% opacity, fill with Whisper White color, add Basic Gray mat, size=1. Add a drop shadow opacity 35%, blur medium, offset x=1, y=1. Send the white punch behind the Labels punch filled with Spring Fever paper.
Here is the video for the custom punch trick and filling a custom punch with an embellishment. If you prefer photos, I have a few on my previous post. First edited video ever... be gentle, please! :)