Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Northeast Lobster Shack

Having a masculine themed birthday party or a lobster bake?  This might be a perfect table favor.  I'm sure you've seen the scene I was going for... the weather-beaten lobster shacks on the Northeast coast.

I had a lot of fun making the little lobster trap buoys out of Parker's Patterns DSP using the paper beads technique.  I colored the toothpicks with a mixture of white acrylic paint and reinkers.

To answer a question on the tapered paper beads, I cut a strip of 1 x 12" card stock diagonally, and I then made sure to keep the wide end of the paper as far and straight to one side as possible during rolling.  I didn't seal the beads; I just used Tombo Multipurpose Liquid Glue to adhere.  Once complete, I used a marker to color any white on the bottom (wider) part of the bead.

Stamps: By the Tide, Teeny Tiny Wishes; Paper: Cajun Craze, Not Quite Navy, Basic Gray, Whisper White, Watercolor paper, Parker's Patterns DSP; Ink: Cajun Craze, Not Quite Navy, Black Stazon, Whisper White craft, Cajun Crazy, Daffodil Delight, Marina Mist markers & reinkers; Accessories: Linen thread, 1" Circle punch, 1-1/4" Scallop Circle punch, Aquapainter, Woodgrain EF, Fancy Favor Box die, Petal Cone die, Big Shot, Toothpicks, Wooden skewer, White acrylic paint, Dimensionals.

I made a coordinating card to go with it.

This is really the look I was aiming for with the paneling.  Here you can see some of the linen thread detail.

Stamps: By the Tide, Itty Bitty Banners, Netting BG; Paper: Cajun Craze, Not Quite Navy, Crumb Cake, Basic Gray, Whisper White, Watercolor paper, Parker's Patterns DSP; Ink: Cajun Craze, Not Quite Navy, Early Espresso, Black Stazon, Whisper White craft, Cajun Crazy, Daffodil Delight, Marina Mist markers & reinkers; Accessories: Linen thread, Silver mini brads, 1" Circle punch, 1-1/4" Scallop Circle punch, Aquapainter, Sponges, Woodgrain EF, Big Shot, Toothpicks, Wooden skewer, White acrylic paint, Dimensionals.

Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

Fay said...

Wow! That is amazing....The buoys looks so real. Love it!

Unknown said...

Love, love, love this! I made a smash book for our Maine vacay...and your brillant work-that I plan to copy...will be a great addition. Terrific work! Blessings, Diane

quirks59m said...

Love this card! Love this stamp set! Very creative!

Carrie King said...

Another amazing card made with By the Tide. You rock when it comes to this set!!!!

Unknown said...

These are fantastic projects Heidi! Love the buoys - so clever. Thanks for sharing them!

Stampin' In The Sand said...

These are fabulous projects! They are taking me right to Maine and my other favorite NE Coast haunts!

Unknown said...

Okay I live ON Cape Cod and that card is a scene around every corner. You have captured it beautifully! Love, love, love it! It's one of those creations that you smack your head and say, "why didn't I think of this?" The buoys are fantastic! I may just have to CASE it! Glad I stumbled upon it on Pinterest! TFS!!! http://craftingbytheseashore.blogspot.com/2013/05/beach-card-series.html