Monday, October 13, 2014

MDSM86 Patriarchs

I'm hosting this week at the MDS Monday challenge.  I thought today we'd try a background technique that could be applied to a card or scrapbook page, the herringbone technique

I went with small 1/4" width strips for my herringbone, so you can really get a feel for the pattern.  Oh, and the subject of the page is the patriarchs of our Canadian cabin, my parents.

Here's the sketch and the herringbone pattern created on a separate page -

You can find a step-by-step video by Juanita Golson on mydigitalstudio.net.  A couple of hints -
  • I followed Juanita's method for one quadrant of the herringbone pattern.  I then grouped them together (without the first three main divider pieces) and copied and pasted for the other three quadrants.
  • I created the herringbone pattern on a separate page, exported as a JPEG, and then inserted into another page so that I could mat the layer neatly onto a background page base. 
MDS Elements: Travel Journal DSP, Smitten Alphabet punch, Gold Sequins, Burlap ribbon, Gold & Silver baker's twine, Everyday Woodcuts, Staple.

No comments: