Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Steampunk Genre

Have you heard of the steampunk genre? According to Wikipedia, steampunk involves the steam engine era, 19th century or Victorian Britian, and science fiction, as it was seen at that time. Think scientific romance of H.G. Wells or Jules Verne.

Steampunk has been gaining popularity in the papercrafting world. Anyone who has seen my ATCs knows I often make them vintage. So it sounded like a nice challenge to see if I could pull off a steampunk ATC with my current supplies.

I started with a page from an AP Calculus study guide as a background and stamped gears, pocket watch and vintage carnival images. I layered the pocket watch, aviator goggles, and (hubby's creation) a bike balloon. The balloon was created by free-hand drawing rope lines, cutting each section apart, sponging, and reassembling.

I'm pretty pleased with how it came out.

Stamps: Pedaling Past, Plane & Simple, Sweet Centers, Pocket watch by Inkadinkado, Sense of Time, Carnival scene by Club Scrap; Paper: Crushed Curry, Dusty Durango, Very Vanilla, Pages from AP Calculus study guide; Ink: Crushed Curry, Dusty Durango, Baja Breeze, Not Quite Navy, Soft Suede, Early Espresso; Accessories: Sponges, Brad, Crystal Effects, 1-3/4" Circle punch, Craft knife.

Thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

Holly/Rubber Redneck said...

Very cool and thanks for the history!! I loved it!

Krystal De Leeuw said...

You had me at steampunk! I just had to come check it out. Very fun. Fabulous interpretation of the genre. I learned something new today!

Yapha said...

Great job! You captured Steampunk really well! And fun looking, too!

Jen Timko said...

Perfectly captured! And now I am compelled to but Crystal Effects just for this stamp set...you are an enabler!

Cindy said...

This is awesome! Why haven't I heard that term before? Love it!

Tanya Boser said...

I'm tickled that you found a way to use one of my FAVORITE stamp sets, Pedaling Past!
And I had heard of Steampunk, but never realized its true meaning. Thanks for the education :) And I think you captured it very well with your creation here!

Carmen said...

I am a steampunk junkie!! Love how this came out!

Kim P said...

Very much outside my comfort zone...but you nailed it! Great job!

Shelley Z said...

Looks to me like you succeed in capturing the Steampunk feel!