Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Maleficent, The Mistress Of All Evil

My ATCs have been on a Disney kick lately. No wonder, since we only watch programming for 3-year-olds in this house. Maleficent, from Sleeping Beauty, is such a great villian, and I thought it would tie into Halloween nicely. I've always been intrigued by those horn things she's got going on, and she can't be all bad if she likes purple, can she? You will recall that during her battle with Prince Philip, she actually turns into a fire-breathing dragon.

Some nice elements of ATCs are
  • at least two layers - check
  • stamping, of course - check
  • a technique - stained mosiac, collage
  • an embellishment - waffle paper
The brick background symbolizes a castle. For it, I used a homemade background stamp, created from scrap pieces of rubber stamps, to stamp with Versamark and emboss with clear embossing powder. Then, I used the stained mosaic technique, to stain the mortar between the bricks, by directly rubbing my Basic Gray ink pad on the paper and buffing the brick with a paper towel.

I added die-cut swirls in Kiwi Kiss and More Mustard to represent the flames from Maleficent as the dragon, and I also added black waffle paper along the bottom edge to embellish her flowing cape. And don't forget she always had her trusty crow (or raven?) mascot, Diablo. I was going to add words "Maleficent, the mistress of all evil", but I just ran out of time. I finally finished these guys at 1am the night before the event.

Stamps: Graveyard Gala, Homemade brick background stamp; Paper: Elegant Eggplant, Whisper White, More Mustard, Kiwi Kiss; Ink: Basic Gray, Versamark, Black Stazon; Accessories: Clear embossing powder, Internet images, Scribbles Swirls die, Bird w/ Leaves & Flower die, Big Shot.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: